Electrify Your Kitchen

October 17, 2022

What does it mean to electrify your kitchen? 

One of the ways you can reduce your home’s carbon footprint and help the County meet its climate goals is to switch to induction cooking in your kitchen. Compared to a traditional natural gas stove, induction cooking appliances are better for the environment, use less energy, are fast and efficient, and a safer alternative. 

Check out the handouts below or download them in English and Spanish.

Induction Cooking Factsheet ENGLISH

Induction Cooking Factsheet SPANISH

What can homeowners do? 

There are a variety of induction cooking appliances for homeowners to choose from. A more expensive route is to install an induction range or cooktop, but you can also consider purchasing portables for around $50.  

If you install an induction cooktop, hold a magnet to your pans, and if the magnet sticks it will work with the cooktop (you can also get a converter for non-magnetic pans). An important reminder is that you should plan to have a 240V / 40A outlet installed before you next replace your stove.  

If you’re interested in upgrading to induction cooking, make note of it when you take Montgomery County’s Electrify Everything pledge! By taking the Electrify Everything pledge, you can also opt to be connected to the County’s certified installer(s) (to be announced in late fall 2022) to learn more about making the switch from fossil fuels to electric and what financial incentives you might be eligible for as you electrify your home. 

How can renters take action? 

Renters can talk with their landlord to see if they can help with making the switch to induction cooking. Another option is to purchase a portable induction burner, which can cost around $50 and doesn’t require any renovations in your rental home. 

Find out more at one of these events: 

💡 Wednesday, October 19, 2022, from 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Crossroads Farmers’ Market, Anne St. @, University Blvd E, Takoma Park
Electrify Your Kitchen: Food Demonstration with Lightbulb Exchange


4 comments on "Electrify Your Kitchen"

  1. Amy Fried says:

    Do you need a special contractor to cap the gas connection?

    1. Larissa Johnson says:

      Great question Amy, you will need a gas fitter or master plumber who is qualified to shut off gas service. Montgomery County residents must use a licensed journeyman or Master Level plumber to do any gasfitting or plumbing work in your home. WSSC offers a step-by-step guide, https://www.wsscwater.com/findplumber, on how to find and verify reputable contractors. Those contractors will help determine if permits from WSSC are required.

      1. Amy Fried says:


    2. Amy Fried says:

      I believe the plumber we’ve been using is a gas fitter, thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *