Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 220+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2019-2020 annual budget of $57 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking exceptional candidates to fill a Manager position within RMI’s Buildings Program, which seeks to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from the U.S. residential and commercial buildings by 2050 through a range of tactical client engagements, thought leadership, and demonstration projects focused on maximizing the adoption of efficiency and renewable energy technologies. Our Managers are creative project leaders who mentor and manage team members to craft visionary-yet-practical solutions for our energy transition. They are responsible for leading substantial efforts, and are often primary authors responsible for structuring and delivering compelling written products to drive insights for our partners.
The primary responsibilities for this position include
- Act as a point person on critical projects with clients and collaborators
- Shape project strategies from inception to conclusion: determine change models, research and analysis methods, project timelines and resource plans, communications strategies, and success metrics
- Provide professional mentorship and structure and manage work for more junior staff
- Contribute to conversations about the strategic objectives and project pipeline of the Buildings Program and RMI overall
- Participate in business and donor development activities and act as a primary relationship manager with key industry partners and stakeholders
- Work hand-in-hand with our communication team to develop and roll out communications strategies
- Represent RMI as an industry expert at conference presentations, workshops, and media engagements
- A graduate degree and 6+ years of professional experience in fields related to the built environment
- Experience leading teams and managing complex project portfolios
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Experience designing and managing complex analytical models
- A passion for working collaboratively to advance market-based solutions to climate change
- A background in building energy systems, building science, architectural engineering, or a similar technical buildings field
- Field experience evaluating, designing, and/or commissioning building energy systems (HVAC, lighting, etc.).
- Exposure to project finance, especially related to energy efficiency or renewable energy projects
- Background working directly with state or municipal leaders to inform or influence policy development, especially relating to energy/carbon goals
- Expertise with energy modeling or coding platforms including EnergyPlus, eQuest, OpenStudio, Python, and Ruby
- Experience with donor development or managing grant- and donor-driven projects
- Experience with group facilitation and workshop design.
- EIT or licensed PE designation
Learn more and apply here.