As a member of the Community Planning and Programs division within the Office of Environmental and Energy Coordination (OEEC), provides support to the Community Planning and Programs team in the promotion of environmental and energy awareness and engagement in support of the Board of Supervisors Environmental Vision and Operational Energy Strategy. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Grows and markets existing and new education and outreach programs to all community sectors; Works with nonprofit entities to further County goals;
- Responds to inquiries from interest groups and the public;
- Provides administrative support to the Board of Supervisor Environmental Committee;
- Supports the management of the CECAP (Communitywide Energy and Climate Action Planning) effort;
- Works with departments/agencies to optimize energy and resource conservation through recovery and reuse;
- Provides administrative support to the Environmental Quality Advisory Council (EQAC) to include managing EQAC’s e-mail in-box, facilitating Virginia Freedom of Information Act requests (VFOIA), positions, resolutions, and EQAC member appointments, managing the EQAC website and posting meeting files, maintaining the EQAC calendar and managing the student member selection process, environmental excellence award process, and staff response process to EQAC’s Annual Report on the Environment.
- Provides support for both planning and programs within the Planning and Programs Team.
- This position works under the supervision of the Senior Community Specialist.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university in a planning related field; plus four years of experience in a planning-related field, preferably in the specific area of assignment. A master’s degree may be substituted for one year of the required experience. The years of experience should include a minimum of three years of experience in the specific area of assignment, e.g., zoning evaluation, zoning administration, zoning enforcement, public facility, environmental and/or land use planning.
- Must have strong experience in and knowledge of energy and climate action planning including but not limited to areas such as greenhouse gas impacts and the impact of building energy and transportation emissions on the environment.
- Experience in developing and implementing a strategic plan as it relates to environmental and energy related issues.
- Experience working in a local government environment including work with elected officials.
- Significant demonstrated experience in data gathering techniques including how to manage, synthesize and use information in various formats and how to organize and present findings.
- Ability to work with community organizations including understanding and recognizing how to interact with the community at large.
- Ability to set-up and facilitate meetings.
- Ability to present information to elected officials, senior management, and members of the community in a concise and understandable manner.
- Ability to write clearly, synthesize complex information, and present findings to audiences without technical backgrounds.
- Strong PowerPoint, Word and Excel skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to the position must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check.
Ability to attend evening meetings is essential.
Job is generally sedentary in nature; however, employee must be sufficiently mobile to attend meetings and make presentations. May be required to lift and carry up to 15 pounds. Must be able to work on electronic equipment such as a computer monitor and keyboard. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; candidates may be asked to complete written exercises and provide work samples.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.
Read the full position description and learn how to apply here.