Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring the best and brightest who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with fourteen offices across the U.S.
Earthjustice is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization. In 2017, Earthjustice created Earthjustice Action, a 501(c)(4) organization, to provide enhanced lobbying and political advocacy. Earthjustice Action advocates and lobbies to defend and strengthen the federal environmental laws that Earthjustice’s litigators depend on in court. Its mission also includes fighting to ensure just and equitable clean energy legislation; ensuring access to justice and restoring the integrity and impartiality of the federal judiciary. Earthjustice Action does not endorse candidates for public office.
The Earthjustice Action Director is responsible for the overall leadership, strategy, and management of Earthjustice Action’s day-to-day work. Reporting to Earthjustice’s V.P of Policy and Legislation, the Director will craft a long-term strategic vision for the organization that sets clear and achievable legislative and policy goals, develops consistent metrics for evaluating performance, and builds the financial, political, and organizational muscle to achieve the outcomes we seek.
The Earthjustice Action Director will work closely with staff from Earthjustice, and, in particular, with Earthjustice’s 20-person Policy and Legislation Team and Earthjustice leadership who serve as officers of Earthjustice Action. In some cases, Earthjustice staff will work directly on Earthjustice Action projects, and the Director will be responsible for coordinating and supervising that work as necessary.
This position can be located in San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC. Click here to apply online
ADVANCEMENT OF EQUITY AND INCLUSION (5%)
- Assist in efforts to cultivate diversity, equity and inclusion within the organization and the broader environmental movement.
- Contribute to Earthjustice’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) mission through involvement in trainings and internal working groups.
STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP (25%)
- Work with the President, Board of Trustees and senior staff of Earthjustice Action to build the organization’s vision and strategic plan and refresh them in response to changing political circumstances.
- Partner with Earthjustice’s Communications department to create and convey a compelling and inspiring vision for the C4 to supporters and others.
- Partners with Earthjustice’s Development team to create and implement plans to build a sustainable income stream for the C4, starting with a target of raising $6M over five years. That plan will include cultivating individual major individual donors and planning events for groups of donors.
- Provide strategic support to Earthjustice Action’s President and the Chair of Earthjustice Action’s Board of Trustees.
- Develop a strong relationship with Earthjustice Action board members, and assist in recruiting new board members when required.
PROGRAM IMPLEMENTATION (50%)
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice Action.
- Work with Earthjustice’s Policy and Legislation and Communications teams to design and implement advocacy initiatives to influence legislation in accordance with Earthjustice Action’s strategic plan. These initiatives may involve paid, earned, and social media developed in concert with the Communications team, as well as phone-banking and other advocacy tactics.
- Develop, maintain and expand trusting relationships with senior staff of key Congressional decision makers.
- Work with Communications Department and/or vendors to maintain an effective Earthjustice Action website.
- Represent Earthjustice Action at appropriate national and state 501(c)(4) coalitions and at any issue-specific coalitions that are created for better collaboration across (c)(4) activities that Earthjustice Action has prioritized.
- Retain and supervise vendors as necessary to implement Earthjustice Action’s programmatic goals.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND ADMINISTRATION (20%)
Working as necessary with Earthjustice Action’s President, Board Chair, General Counsel and other staff, as well as Earthjustice staff, the Director will:
- Plan and execute biannual board meetings.
- Write program reports for board members and supporters.
- Maintain and improve Earthjustice Action’s bylaws, structures and processes.
- Develop and manage Earthjustice Action’s annual budget.
- Coordinate Earthjustice Action’s annual proposed budget with the results of Earthjustice’s annual lobby budget review.
- Recruit, hire and supervise additional staff when necessary and appropriate.
- Ensure legal compliance of Earthjustice Action’s projects and activities.
- Supervise Earthjustice Action’s annual audit and the production of its 990 form.
- Eight years’ experience with the legislative and/or political process.
- Bachelors, Masters or JD
- Ability to work with populations having diverse backgrounds and promote equity and inclusion for staff, donors and coalition members
- Proven leadership skills
- Deep understanding of the federal legislative and political process, and a proven ability to develop and implement strategies for influencing those processes
- Experience in planning and executing advocacy campaigns, including campaigns that involve traditional, digital and social media, both earned and paid
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. Proven leader, coach and motivator of staff.
- Fundraising experience
- Experience formulating and tracking budgets
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Proven ability to build, work with, and deepen relationships with coalitions
- Experience leading a 501(c)(4) organization
- Experience planning and executing paid phone banks
- Experience working with a board of directors
- Experience working in a law firm or other environment. requiring frequent engagement with lawyers
- Supervisory experience
- Political campaign experience
- Knowledge of U.S. environmental laws
Salary range is based on experience and location.
Salary range: $134,000 to $156,700
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Cover Letter.
- Brief writing sample.