The Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection is seeking to fill a Manager III position to manage the day-to-day activities of the department’s public information and communications as well as supervise a team of communications and outreach staff. This position will report to the Director of the Department.
The Manager for Communications and Public Engagement will focus on integrating all communication and outreach in DEP and developing a comprehensive communication program that informs and engages staff, other county agencies, county council, advocacy groups, media, and the public about the department’s initiatives, programs, and events. This integration will be achieved through development and implementation of a strategic plan for communications, use of various forms of communication including social media, websites, presentations, speeches, etc. and outreach to the county residents through various partnerships. The salary range for this position is $77,453 – $141,566.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Working with the Director and Division Chiefs and the program outreach leads within the Divisions to design, execute, and annually update the comprehensive departmental communication strategy that fosters dialogue, collaboration, understanding, and engagement.
- Coordinating and overseeing the proactive development of communication materials, including print, video, web and social media for the Department and integration of those postings across the Department to ensure consistent messaging and continued presence in press and television, consistent with the branding.
- Serving as lead developer of press releases, blogs and other marketing materials and ensuring the DEP website is user friendly, informative, and consistent with the branding of DEP.
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with partners in the community that allow for broader and successful implementation of the DEP mission, including watershed partners, communities affected by DEP recycling and resource management operations, homeowners’ associations, and climate action groups.
- Serving as the media relations and PIO point-of-contact for the Department, assisting with preparation of communications such as press releases and working with department staff to plan and coordinate integrated outreach and publicity for programs, services, and events.
- Evaluating effectiveness of DEP outreach efforts based on metrics developed in the Department communication strategy and reporting progress on those metrics.
The ideal candidate will have considerable knowledge of communications, marketing and branding; strategic planning and partnership building as well as experience developing and implementing successful communications strategies; have excellent written and verbal communications skills; and demonstrated ability in communicating effectively with a varied and diverse audience to include stakeholders, community leaders, business groups, the general public, and elected officials.
The selected candidate must have the ability to work independently as well as work in a collaborative environment within a large organization with multiple priorities. Experience in environmental programs and environmental issues, while not a requirement, is preferred.
This position REQUIRES the possession of a valid driver’s license from applicant’s state of residence and the ability to drive a County vehicle to attend meetings, coordinate with partners in the community, transport outreach and marketing materials, and perform work at locations outside the office, which include locations throughout Montgomery County and elsewhere in the metropolitan area for events, presentations and meetings, that may occur during the day, evening, and/or weekend.
As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
Experience: Five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in communications and outreach.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education or experience may be substituted.
License: Possession of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website.
Click on the “Search Jobs” tab, and then on the Job Search link Available Jobs. Read the full job description under the “Managerial Executive” Job Category. Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply. The requisition number is IRC39228
This Recruitment Closes September 25, 2019
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “How to Apply” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.