World Resources Institute (WRI) is a global research organization with a mission to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Our vision is global, focused on investments and strategies that create a just transition, creating shared prosperity and equity for people around the world while rapidly decarbonizing the economy to slow climate change. Our work spans more than 50 countries, with 12 offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States. Our nearly 1600 experts and staff turn big ideas into action.
With a new President & CEO at the helm, WRI is about to develop its next five-year strategy. We recognize the opportunity this offers for strategic alignment and direction across our global network, becoming a more inclusive, diverse, and equitable organization, to invest in our staff, support systems and innovation, and to enhance the productivity of our teams by unlocking and expediting decision-making processes and breaking down silos. Success will demand strong, effective leadership and management. WRI has an extraordinary opportunity to assemble a senior team of proven leaders to guide the development of our next strategy and equip us tackle the challenges ahead in four distinct clusters. Four roles have been created meet our growing organization’s needs.
One of these roles is the Managing Director and Executive Vice President for Programs who will be responsible for ensuring WRI’s programs are future focused, delivering approaches and solutions to ensure WRI remains the most innovative organization tackling climate and development globally. Working across program leadership in our seven areas: cities, climate, energy, food, forests, water, and the Ocean and four centers of excellence: equity, economics, business, and finance, you will enable the collective programs of WRI to have impact greater than the sum of its parts.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Overseeing WRI’s programmatic work, including the cross-cutting centers of excellence with focus on research and interventions that catalyze the systemic transformations necessary for a just and sustainable transition.
- Streamlining staffing, resources, and budgets across programs to deliver cross-programmatic solutions.
- Setting clear, ambitious strategic objectives to lead cross programmatic high-quality research.
- Providing analytical thought leadership to find practical solutions for action.
- Driving effective collaboration, resource allocation and decision-making to foster alignment of country program strategies and integration with global challenge areas.
- Ensuring WRI’s portfolio and research are tightly focused on interventions where we can advance our strategic goals, through robust theories of change such that our research delivers maximum impact, moving the needle and meeting our five-year strategic objectives.
Learn more and apply here.