Start Date: August 31, 2020
End Date: December 18, 2020
Application Deadline: On-going. Early submission is recommended as we will review applications when they are received.
Hours Per Week: 16- 40
Montgomery County, Maryland, has been a national leader in responding to the challenge of climate change. The County was among the first in the nation to declare a climate emergency. Montgomery County has launched a planning process to develop prioritized actions and strategies to meet the County’s greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals. County staff and community members are collaborating on the development of a Climate Action and Resilience Plan that will provide a roadmap to achieve carbon neutrality and will also include recommendations for adapting to a changing climate.
The County Executive’s Office is seeking part-time or full-time climate fellows. This is a competitive fellowship for qualified graduate students with diverse backgrounds who have strong experience, education, or interest, in climate, sustainability, racial equity, and clean and renewable energy policy. This is an unpaid fellowship and is intended for the educational benefit of the fellow. The fellowship will be conducted virtually (teleworking) due to the on-going pandemic.
The fellows will collaborate with County employees with projects on diverse climate and energy issues such as:
Climate change policy and planning
Climate adaptation/resilience policy
Energy efficiency and renewable energy policy
Centering racial equity, social justice, and inclusivity in community engagement approaches for climate planning
Digital communications for climate action/resilience planning, including through generating strategy and content for social media, ArcGIS Story Maps, and County-wide newsletters
Community engagement in the climate action/resilience planning process
The fellows will work closely with County employees to gain experience by attending meetings and briefings, conducting research, writing summaries, etc. County employees will also work with the fellows to assign projects that will increase their knowledge in energy and climate issues while supporting their strengths and interests.
Successful fellows will possess the following qualities and skills:
• Strong academic and/or volunteer/work experience in climate and energy policy and sustainability and a strong interest in and learning more about these fields
• Individuals in other fields (e.g., marketing/communications, art/design, public health, economics, sociology, social work, geography, English, creative writing, history, biology) who are excited to make linkages to climate/energy/sustainability are also welcome to apply
• Enthusiasm for the process of finding solutions to climate and energy challenges
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Independent and self-motivated worker; eager to ask questions
• Diligence in research and high attention to detail
• Values high-quality work and importance of deadlines
Fellowship dates: August 31, 2020 – December 18, 2020 (dates are flexible)
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Early submission is recommended as we will review applications when they are received.