The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water and land in a sustainable way while fostering smart growth, a thriving economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking to fill a Performance Management and Data Analyst II position in the Strategic Services Division. The successful individual is a self-starter, who requires little supervision and is adept to finding, organizing, and analyzing the data to report findings for the purpose of making informed decisions. The individual will work within a team of information technology professionals and analysts focused on providing analysis and solutions related to a broad range of topics in support of the divisions within the Department that offer a multitude of programs to residents and businesses in Montgomery County. The salary range for this position is $66,164 – $109,761.
The structure and operation of the Strategic Services Division is based on three fundamental principles:
- To monitor and improve the performance of services and programs by working closely and collaboratively with division chiefs and program managers.
- To assist program staff in business process improvement that results in improved transparency, accountability, and efficiency for the residents and employees of the County.
- To evaluate and measure the benefits of the programs delivered to residents and businesses, including the contribution of these programs to the goals of Montgomery County.
The Performance Management and Data Analyst II is responsible for implementing and managing the comprehensive analyses of current programs offered by the Department in conjunction with program managers and staff, to evaluate the effectiveness of the programs, develop strategies for enhancements, efficiencies and report on program outcomes.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Analyzing program practices and data in order to find opportunities to improve a program’s performance, expand the scope of a program, and/or promote a program through the effective use and presentation of data.
- Conducting in-depth scientific and technical research necessary to evaluate the expansion, modification or elimination of an existing program or components of a program.
- Researching emerging topics related to the work of the various sections of DEP, or of importance to the County.
- Developing technically sophisticated presentations to recommend data driven solutions.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven ability to identify best practices, resources, and alternatives for meeting objectives and timelines.
- Thorough knowledge with program evaluation, including the ability to develop, plan, and implement the analysis of programs
- Strong logical, analytical and critical-thinking skills, including the ability to collect, analyze, present, and draw conclusions from data
- Ability to understand and research complex topics in order to answers questions about a particular topic (e.g. questions from a Councilmember) or provide the basis for the development, modification, or enhancement of environmental programs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; comfort with public speaking
- Ability to present complex and technical concepts to a general audience
- Ability to prepare concise and comprehensive documents and reports for a variety of audiences
- Ability to work calmly under pressure and prioritize a varied and demanding workload, as well as a proven change agent.
The successful candidate must have a proven track record of being a change agent, have the ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment within a large organization with multiple competing priorities; have excellent interpersonal and communication skills; be able to organize, prioritize, and accomplish assignments/tasks on schedule; have a positive attitude; and work well under pressure. Individuals with strong analytical, critical thinking, and communication skills and who thrive in a fast-paced and challenging work environment are encouraged to apply.
The position requires the ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and to collaborate effectively with County departments and agencies, third party contractors and members of the public.
This position requires the ability to attend meetings or perform work at locations outside the office, and occasional weekend and/or evening work may be required.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
Experience: Three (3) years of professional experience performing data analysis and interpretation, program evaluation, and/or process improvement in an academic, data administration or business data analytics environment.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science, Operations Research, Business Administration, Economics, Public Administration, Public Policy, Management, Finance, Statistics, Engineering or related field.
(1) An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
(2) Possession of a graduate degree in one of the above fields may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html and click on the “Search for Jobs at MCG” tab. Read the full job description under the “General Professional” Job Category. The requisition number is IRC47153. Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
This Recruitment Closes February 4, 2021
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.