The Department of Environmental Protection’s (DEP) mission is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water and land in a sustainable way while fostering smart growth, a thriving economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking to fill two (2) Program Specialist I positions area in the Recycling and Resource Management Division’s Waste Reduction and Recycling Section and serve as waste reduction and recycling education specialists assisting non-residential properties, including businesses, not-for-profit organizations and Federal, state and local government facilities to develop, implement and improve their on-site waste reduction, reuse and recycling programs and initiatives, in compliance with Montgomery County’s recycling and solid waste regulations. Employees will assist businesses, organizations and government facilities in implementing programs to reduce waste further and increase recycling participation and achievement. The County’s goal is to reduce waste and recycle 70% of waste, aiming for 83% and beyond toward zero waste.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
• Developing and fostering partnerships with the business community by providing direct on-site services through conducting daily site visits to businesses, organizations and government facilities;
• Evaluating on-site recycling, waste reduction, reuse and buying recycled programs;
• Identifying problems, challenges and opportunities to increased waste reduction and recycling;
• Collecting data and information about businesses, organizations and government facilities and their on-site processes; and maintaining accurate data in a consistently timely, technically sound and professional manner.
• Determining and recommending short and long-term solutions using critical and analytical skills, including data evaluation and analysis;
• Working directly with business or commercial property owners, managers, and employees in varied settings, teaching, training, communicating, and promoting waste reduction, reuse and recycling program requirements, as well as providing and/or delivering educational materials such as posters, brochures, flyers, stickers and recycling containers on a regular basis;
• Partnering with businesses, organizations and government facilities and assisting them to implement program improvements in their on-site waste reduction and recycling programs to achieve more;
• Routinely planning, organizing, conducting, and participating in various educational and training events;
• Planning and meeting with business owners, managers and employees, as well as governing bodies at association and organization meetings;
• Participating in County-wide community events and activities;
• Assisting in the development of educational materials and messages to increase waste reduction and recycling, including through the use of social media.
PRESENTATIONS, TRAININGS, MEETINGS AND EVENTS OFTEN OCCUR DURING EVENINGS AND/OR ON WEEKENDS, THUS NIGHT AND WEEKEND WORK ARE REGULARLY REQUIRED.
This position REQUIRES possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a County vehicle to conduct daily site visits of businesses, commercial properties and government facilities, attend meetings, conduct and participate in educational programs, and perform other work at locations outside the office.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Experience: One (1) year professional experience in recycling or solid waste field, including experience providing direct education or technical assistance.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
License: Possession and maintenance at all times of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website and then click on “Apply Now.”
Click “Search Jobs” and see the full job description under IRC40807
Interested candidates must create an account in order to submit a resume.