The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking an experienced Program Specialist II to coordinate our Recycling Volunteer Program in the Recycling and Resource Management Division in the Waste Reduction and Recycling Section. The County’s goal is to reduce waste and recycle more, aiming for zero waste.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Providing education, training and technical assistance that support County waste reduction policies and practices to residents, multi-family and business properties, as well as to landscapers/lawn service contractors (practices include composting and grasscycling and other waste reduction initiatives)
- Coordinating program initiatives that encourage waste reduction, reuse and recycling by residents and employees in the County
- Managing the Recycling Volunteer Program, including recruiting, training, retaining and supervising volunteers at education events and activities
- Implementing efforts to maximize effectiveness of volunteer activities and coordinating and tracking recycling volunteer efforts
- Writing and distributing quarterly Recycletter (recycling newsletter)
- Assisting in development and design of materials and other resources supporting the County’s recycling program
- Distributing various materials and resources (such as recycling containers, compost bins and educational materials) for use by residents, multi-family and business and properties
- Participating in other special projects as needed
- Developing new strategies and innovative solutions to increase recycling by County residents
Position requires planning, organizing, conducting, and participating in numerous educational events. Knowledge of recycling and waste reduction issues necessary.
FREQUENT PRESENTATIONS/MEETINGS/EVENTS OFTEN OCCUR DURING EVENINGS AND/OR WEEKENDS; THUS NIGHT AND WEEKEND WORK ARE REGULARLY REQUIRED.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please register on our Job Site, Once registered search for the full job description under the general professional category IRC52066.