There are three (3) current vacancies.
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water and land in a sustainable way while fostering smart growth, a thriving economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking to fill three Program Specialist II positions in its Recycling and Resource Management Division, Recycling and Refuse Services Section to focus primarily on reducing the contamination in our recycling bins and increasing recycling. Employee will work in coordination with the field operations of a solid waste collection contractor that provides refuse and recycling collection services in Montgomery County.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Reduce Curbside Recycling Contamination and Increase Recycling Volume by monitoring residents’ bins during collection day to identify contaminated recycling bins, tag them and leave behind outreach material to educate about what is and is not unacceptable in our program.
• Conduct code enforcement including, but not limited to, the solid waste management section of the Montgomery County Code, Chapter 48.
• Ensure collection services are being provided by the contractor in accordance with their contract and the law.
• Work closely with contract supervisor to confirm there are adequate trucks and staffing for the day’s collections, all service requests have been fulfilled, and confirm any problematic households/streets are field verified that day.
• Follow-up with contractor’s supervisor to ensure adjustments to staffing, routing, collections, etc. are made.
• Contact residents with misses or complaints received that day or the previous workday, research and reconcile the complaint and resolve the matter between the resident and collection contractor.
Employee works in the field 90% of the time and must work independently and be self-motivated.
Employee will occasionally represent the Recycling and Resource Management Division at community meetings, including occasional evenings and weekends, discuss problems in the community and offer solutions to the issues. Employee will participate in presentations for these meetings when appropriate and perform other Solid Waste related outreach activities as needed. Will conduct surveys of problem areas.
Employee is required to work some evenings, weekends and holidays.
Bilingual applicants in the Spanish/English languages are encouraged to apply. If the candidate selected for this position possesses multilingual skills, he/she will be required to successfully pass an examination assessing oral communication, reading comprehension, and interpreting skills. For Advanced proficiency, the candidate must also pass an examination requiring translating text from Spanish to English and vice versa.
This position requires possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a County vehicle to attend meetings, visit sites around Montgomery County for field investigations, conducting surveys, and/or observing or inspecting field operations, and performing other work at locations outside the office.
The Department of Environmental Protection will be moving to Wheaton, MD in the near future. This position will relocate at that time.
Experience: Two (2) years of professional experience in field operations, recycling, waste reduction or related field.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
License: Possession and maintenance at all times of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence.
The applications of those individuals meeting the minimum qualifications will be reviewed to determine the extent, relevancy of training, and experience in the following areas:
• Customer Service; Complaints
• Field Operations; Monitoring staff and/or contractors
• Problem Solving
• Working Independently
• Computer Applications
If selected for consideration for this position, you may be required to provide evidence that you possess the knowledge, skills and abilities indicated on your resume.
Minimum Salary: $54,947
Maximum Salary: $90,848
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/hr/recruitment/applynow.html and then click on “Apply Now.”
Click “Search Jobs” and see the full job description under the general professional category IRC46074.