The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is currently seeking a Recreation/Enterprise Facility Manager I to work within Montgomery Parks managing the daily operations of two boat rental facilities (Black Hill Boats and Lake Needwood Boats) from mid-March to mid-October. This position will also serve as a manager on the Cabin John Ice Rink management team during the winter months (mid-October to mid-March). This position will be responsible for staff supervision, facility and equipment maintenance, administration, facility budget preparation, and customer service.
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner. Behind the vast and diverse Montgomery County Department of Parks system is a career staff complement of nearly 800 employees, 424 parks and almost 37,000 acres of park land that serves a diverse population of more than one million residents in the Washington, DC area. Go to our website to learn more: https://www.montgomeryparks.org/.
This position requires regular exercise of independent judgment and performance of duties within policy guidelines. Also required is the development of successful business strategies and methodologies to achieve optimum facility operations.
Weekends and evenings are required.
Please Note: The salary range listed above represents the earning potential for this position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Very competitive and flexible benefits programs available!
Examples of Important Duties
- Manages overall day to day facility operations. Helps develop and implement long term goals and operational procedures (e.g., hours, rules, safety, etc.).
- Supervises designated staff. Recruits, hires, trains, schedules, and evaluates seasonal staff to assist with operations. Ensures all staff receive various trainings (boating safety; CPR/First Aid; customer service, Active Montgomery, etc.)
- Coordinates and oversees both boat facilities budget formulation regarding projected revenues and expenditures. Responsible for regularly monitoring revenues and expenditures within approved budget. Prepares financial reports and assists with recommendation of fees.
- Coordinates maintenance and repairs of equipment and facility with respective Park Manager.
Performs a variety of administrative tasks such as cash reports (collects and deposits revenues); record facility inventory (boats, life jackets, oars, tools, office supplies, resale, etc.); assists with timecards; document maintenance needs, emergency action plans, and attendance.
- Assists with marketing facilities. Works with marketing staff to promote facilities and amenities through various media outlets; assists with preparation of marketing materials such as brochures, flyers, and giveaways. Updates facilities’ websites.
- Monitors facility activities and rentals. Provides assistance and general customer service to visitors.
- Attends professional seminars to identify new programs, methods, and equipment which might be useful for the facilities. Conducts research to identify trends or seek information that would be useful to develop programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or four years experience in one of the following fields: parks, recreation, education, business administration, physical education, communication, leisure services, or in area of required specialty; and
- Two years of responsible professional experience working in a facility related to parks, recreation, education, business administration, health education, physical education, communication, leisure services, or area of required specialty; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience;
- A valid driver’s license or ability to acquire one; and
- A valid operating license (e.g., county pool operator’s, child care license) as appropriate.
Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).
DIVERSITY STATEMENT: Montgomery County Department of Parks believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. Montgomery County Parks does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, ideology, or status as a Veteran.