The Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA) is dedicated to helping electric power stakeholders address the most pressing issues they encounter as they pursue the transition to a clean and modern electric future and a carbon-free energy system by 2050. We are a trusted partner providing education, research, standards, and collaboration to help utilities, electric customers, and other industry players across four pathways: Transportation Electrification, Grid Integration, Regulatory Innovation and Utility Business Models. Through educational activities, working groups, peer-to-peer engagements and advisory services, SEPA convenes interested parties to facilitate information exchange and knowledge transfer to offer the highest value for our members and partner organizations.
As part of the Research Department, the Senior Analyst, Research is responsible for supporting and driving forward the collection, and maintenance of key data and information that provide research intelligence to SEPA’s membership, external stakeholders, and internal staff. The Senior Analyst will also help support working group efforts when called upon and contribute to the development and publication of research reports. This position provides an opportunity to develop deeper subject matter expertise related to SEPA’s key areas of focus including its four pathways (Utility Business Models, Regulatory Innovation, Grid Integration and Transportation Electrification) and build a reputation across the industry commensurate with that expertise.
Responsibilities and Key Impact Areas
- Lead projects as assigned with SEPA staff and external project stakeholder input
- Provide project management on assigned research with SEPA staff and external project stakeholders.
- Create project charter, RACI chart and Gantt Chart for assigned projects.
- Work with SEPA’s marketing and communications team to define marketing strategy for assigned projects.
- Keep assigned research projects on schedule and manage development process flow including internal and external review cycles, layout, design and product release.
- Ensure accuracy and high quality of data and writing represented in each research output.
Research and Analysis
- Assist with defining research methodology for assigned projects including crafting hypotheses, data collection approach, data evaluation methods and desired learning outcomes.
- Conduct outreach with research targets for primary data collection via web-based survey instruments, face-to-face or phone-based interviews or other formats as required.
- Conduct extensive review of submitted data to ensure accuracy and statistical significance (if applicable)
- Author, co-lead, and/or support various research outputs based on key findings.
- Provide content peer review support and final QA/QC for assigned projects.
Communicate Research Findings
- Present research findings at SEPA conferences and external events
- Convert research content into various formats based on target audience and delivery channel. This may include: webinars, podcasts, SEPA conference sessions, blogs, infographics, slide decks, industry articles or other formats as requested.
- Work with SEPA’s marketing and communications teams to publicize research externally through social media channels.
- Provide research request responses for internal staff, SEPA members (utility and non-utility members) and external stakeholders (media, general public).
- Provide research and analytical support on assigned contract or grant work.
- Undergraduate degree required; major in mathematics, science, engineering, economics or other quantitative background preferred. Masters degree preferred.
- Three years experience, either through work experience and/or coursework, in a position requiring analytical and data collection skills, demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Strong MS Excel, Powerpoint, and Google platform navigation skills required; knowledge of and skill with programming languages (e.g. SQL, R), web development, database, and data tools (e.g., SAS, Tableau) preferred.
- Knowledge of utility industries, and/or solar and supporting technologies (e.g., demand response, energy storage, microgrids, electric vehicles) preferred.
- Knowledge of web-traffic metrics and/or background in data and information visualization preferred.
- Good phone and written communication skills to summarize findings and translate complex data into various understandable formats for audience of different needs.
- Strong internet research skills with the ability to independently research and support findings with multiple sources. Comfortable reviewing technical materials.