In this role, you will support the Sustainable Finance Center’s research agenda, in particular, our Sustainable Investing Initiative. You will undertake research on assessing climate-related physical risks and their financial impact, measuring and improving the quality of sustainable investment products and promoting their adoption, and strengthening WRI’s approach to “greening” our own endowment.
In addition, you will support the Center’s research on promoting disaster risk finance solutions for developing countries, including parametric risk insurance and contingent credit. You should expect to interact with financial market participants, government officials, financial analysts, and other stakeholders. We require active collaboration with others in the Sustainable Finance Center, as well as with other parts of WRI and external partners.
Your main areas of responsibility will include the following:
Research (75% of time)
- Undertaking primary qualitative and quantitative research and co-authoring knowledge products (e.g. reports, briefs, data products)
- Contributing to funding proposals
- Presenting at internal and external meetings
- Conducting interviews, conducting outreach, and engaging external stakeholders
- Co-authoring blog posts and other pieces
- Reviewing knowledge products written by other WRI researchers
Administrative (25% of time)
- Organizing internal and external meetings, workshops, conferences and other dissemination activities
- Liaising with external partners and WRI colleagues across programs and countries
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas or similar is required: business/finance (international, environmental, development or sustainable focus preferred), economics, public policy, international affairs/studies/relations, international/sustainable development
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant full-time work experience
- Knowledge of mainstream investment practices, concepts, and institutions
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative research and writing skills
- Prior experience writing research products
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel) and internet research
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with teams of individuals and colleagues
- Ability to deliver high quality work while under pressure
- Demonstrated involvement in sustainability or development issues in a professional or extracurricular capacity
- Flexibility to travel nationally and internationally
- Professional experience in the financial sector, preferably at an investment bank, asset management firm, or similar
- Prior experience that required engagement with, or knowledge of, financial institutions such as investment or commercial banks, asset owners, asset managers, insurance companies, etc.
- Familiarity with sustainable investment practices and key terms and initiatives
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages such as R or Python
- Master’s degree
- US work authorization is required for this opportunity.
How to Apply
Cover letter required. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
WRI’s Sustainable Finance Center focuses on shifting public and private capital toward sustainable activities that support low carbon and climate-resilient development and away from those that harm people and the environment. We engage governments, development finance institutions, private sector actors, and civil society to achieve our vision.
The Sustainable Investing Initiative sits within WRI’s Sustainable Finance Center and works to facilitate the shift of private sector capital toward sustainable activities. The Initiative engages institutional investors and other market participants to inform, develop, and promote widespread adoption of sustainable investment strategies in the mainstream investor marketplace. We leverage WRI’s own investment experiences, provide environmental data and cutting-edge research, and promote peer-to-peer learning through our convening power to encourage this transition.
Learn more and apply here.