Senior Engineer (Grade 27)
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
2425 Reedie Drive, Wheaton, Maryland 20902
Salary Range: $79,743 to $128,531
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County’s air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities. DEP is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals and values diverse perspectives, lived experiences, and cultures. DEP encourages BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and people of color), immigrants, women, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.
DEP is the lead agency in Montgomery County dedicated to improving stream health and water quality, and this position will support the implementation of the County’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System Permit Program (MS4 permit) as it relates to the stormwater facility and stream restoration Capital Improvements Projects program. We are seeking an experienced Senior Engineer who will be responsible for providing construction engineering services for the Watershed Restoration Program, which includes new and retrofit stormwater management ponds, Environmental Site Design (ESD) and Low Impact Development (LID) projects, stormwater facilities, and stream restorations.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing complex construction engineering projects in the area of stormwater management.
• Managing and monitoring the budgets of assigned construction projects to facilitate the contractor’s completion within the budget of executing purchase orders and within schedule.
• Monitoring and managing the construction contractor’s quality of work for assigned projects to facilitate the contractor’s completion of high-quality projects in accordance with task order requirements.
• Reviewing and processing all Change Documents against the contract and task order documents; coordinating with the consulting engineer as necessary; reviewing the scope and cost of any contractor change proposal for accuracy, reasonableness, and appropriate documentation; and negotiating with the contractor regarding any disagreements over cost, time and/or scope.
• Initiating correspondence and other communications with developers, designers, contractors, property owners, other governmental agencies and the general public in response to requests for information, to explain legal/regulatory requirements, or to provide technical assistance.
• Serving on Contractor Qualification and Selection Committee, providing input to contractor qualification and selection criteria, interviewing consultant firms, evaluating proposals and recommendation selection; providing engineering expertise, preparing statements of the scope of work and technical specifications in bid documents and contracts.
• Serving as the Dam Operator for a high or significant hazard dam as part of the Dam Emergency Response during major storm events.
The successful candidate must have the ability to work independently as well as work in a collaborative environment within a large organization with multiple priorities and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Professional Engineering License, or Registered Landscape Architecture License in the State of Maryland is preferred.
This position requires possession and maintenance of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a County assigned vehicle to attend meetings, visit sites for existing conditions review, field investigations and conduct surveys, and/or observe or inspect construction sites, as well as attend meetings with homeowners and communities and perform other work at locations throughout Montgomery County not readily accessible by public transit. This position will also serve as an Emergency Action Plan participant which will require the ability to drive too high or significant hazard dams in the county.
The work involves physical effort such as occasional standing for long periods and/or walking over rough and uneven construction sites, and occasional stooping, bending, reaching, and climbing at construction sites.
Occasional evening and/or weekend work outside of normal business hours may be required.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and county laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
For information about Montgomery County Government’s comprehensive benefits package, please visit the MCG Total Rewards webpage and check out our competitive benefits!
Experience: Considerable (5 years) experience in contract and project management, design and construction of stormwater management ponds, Environmental Site Design (ESD) and inspection of stormwater management facilities.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, with specialization in Environmental or Water Resources Engineering. Registration as a Professional Engineer may substitute for the degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, provided such combination includes at least sixty (60) accredited semester hours (or an equivalent amount of accredited professional training) in engineering or related courses appropriate to the assigned position.
License: Possession and maintenance at all times of a valid Class “C” (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant’s state of residence.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html and click on the “Job Openings” tab.
Read the full job description under the “General Professional” Job Category. Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
The requisition number is IRC59465.
This Recruitment is Open Until Filled.
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips listed under the “Career Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s WORK4MCG webpage.