The American Council for and Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national research organization based in Washington, DC, seeks a qualified senior manager for its State Policy Program. ACEEE is an independent, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1980 that acts as a catalyst to advance energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
ACEEE’s organizational culture is collaborative and team-oriented with a strong commitment to its mission. Staff work at an energetic pace within a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment with an emphasis on professional growth and development. There is a high degree of work flexibility, with an emphasis on results, making ACEEE an enjoyable and fulfilling place to work.
ACEEE seeks a senior manager to lead the organization’s research and outreach activities on state energy efficiency policy. ACEEE’s State Policy Program covers a range of efficiency policy topics across buildings, transportation, utilities, and industrial efficiency policies. The program leads the development of ACEEE’s seminal State Energy Efficiency Scorecard. Through research and outreach, the senior manager will address opportunities and challenges in scaling energy efficiency as a central strategy in meeting numerous state policy goals, including climate change, clean energy, economic development, health, equity, and affordability. This position is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with state policy experience, a real passion for public interest work, and an interest in furthering his or her career in a dynamic and growing sector.
The senior manager supervises a small staff, reports to ACEEE’s senior director for Policy, and collaborates closely with senior staff and other teams at ACEEE. The senior manager will advocate for state energy efficiency policies and will provide technical assistance to outside partners on a variety of efficiency policy and research topics. The position offers an opportunity and the flexibility to focus on topics that are most urgent and relevant to state policymakers, from electric vehicle (EV) programs to zero-energy buildings and efficiency financing strategies. Technical assistance can include presentation of ACEEE research, writing memos, and submitting formal regulatory or legislative testimony or comments. He or she will also lead research projects, which often result in written research reports, fact sheets, formal presentations, webinars, press interviews, and blog posts. This position also requires the senior manager to balance time between ongoing research projects and technical assistance requests.
- Developing a strategic direction for state policy outreach, technical assistance, and research priorities
- Conducting research, analysis and technical assistance on a variety of state efficiency policy topics and developing new projects and funding proposals
- Engaging policymakers, regulators, and energy efficiency advocates toward successful outcomes
- Managing and preparing high-quality, complex ACEEE reports or publications, while setting and keeping to timelines and budgets
- Leading a team of research and policy staff on their projects and development
- Representing ACEEE externally to media, policymakers, funders, and the efficiency community as a recognized expert
- Interacting with funders and pursuing new funding opportunities
- Ability to lead a team of staff and collaborate with other teams
- Capable of engaging with a broad range of external stakeholders
- Ability to work on several simultaneous projects with competing deadlines
- Highly analytical and an eye for detail
- Deadline management
- Excellent writing and oral presentation skills
- Tech-savvy, self-starter and quick learner
- Strong social and supervisory skills
- Articulate and thoughtful
- Teamwork oriented
- An advanced degree in a relevant field including (but not limited to) policy analysis or management, law, energy, engineering, or science
- At least eight years relevant work experience
- Experience working in or with state governments including energy offices, legislatures and governors’ offices
- Demonstrated expertise in the state policymaking process, such as reviewing or developing legislative language and executive orders
- Experience with energy efficiency programs and policies
- Experience with choosing the appropriate method for policy analysis and research and delivering high quality research or analytical products
- Staff management experience
The position is located in Washington, DC.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes ACEEE’s generous benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and use “State Policy Senior Manager” in the subject line. We do not accept phone calls or e-mails about the position.