WRI intends to award a consultant a 6-month fixed price contract for a senior consultant to help WRI establish a new Urban Energy practice focused on locally-driven energy system decarbonization, including leading strategy development on two 6-month pilot engagements and developing and testing new pathways and tools for urban-led decarbonization. We expect that this will be at least a half-time commitment.
The consultant will work with Cities and Energy team leadership and staff to develop and grow this exciting new area of work, engaging in thought leadership and strategy on city-led decarbonization. They will oversee the development of engagement models and an analytical framework on urban-led decarbonization and will engage in fundraising and work to establish partnerships with key peer organizations working at the intersection of urban sustainability and the energy grid. Together with team members across international offices, the consultant will also oversee pilot engagements which will test assumptions and generate lessons for the next phase of work.
Scope of Work and Deliverables/Outputs
- Provide high profile, action-oriented thought leadership on urban-led decarbonization, including leading practice area communications strategy and producing internal and external communications products.
- Lead the generation and evaluation of strategic solutions and project activities for WRI to advance the urban energy transition.
- Leverage institute strengths in related work areas to establish WRI as a leading voice on urban-led decarbonization.
- Work with WRI staff, consultants, and external experts, to (1) scope, identify, and develop models for engagement between city and energy system leaders, and (2) develop and test a set of city-focused tools and resources including a beta-version market opportunity assessment for clean energy deployment. Lead the achievement of other practice and institutional goals.
- Liaise between WRI programs and country offices, particularly in initial pilot locations Mexico and India, to launch and oversee pilot engagements between subnational demand-side and energy system leaders.
- Develop partnerships with key players in the space in order to effect external change and drive urban-led decarbonization.
- Oversee knowledge management processes in service of developing expertise at WRI.
- Work with WRI development team, program leadership and key partners to develop a scaling and fundraising strategy for the long-term institutionalization of this practice.
- Work closely with Energy and Cities leadership to identify and pursue funding opportunities.
- Lead will hold a master’s or higher degree required in urban planning, public administration, energy policy or engineering, environmental management, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years of time relevant professional experience in urban sustainability, environmental research and advocacy, or energy systems/engineering
- Expertise clean energy planning, supply and/or procurement; specific experience in utility and regulatory engagement across markets is preferred
- Proven ability to lead complex projects involving international, cross-sector, and/or multi-stakeholder partnerships
- Strong communication skills and ability to influence target audiences through spoken and written materials and presentations
- Highly motivated, proactive work style and excellent organizational skills
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products
- Experience working with both state and non-governmental actors
Learn more and apply here.