Reporting to the Senior Global Manager for Electric Mobility, you will be responsible for all aspects of the design and management of multiple major initiatives in targeted regions (China, India, Latin America, and the United States). You will coordinate with staff in WRI’s international offices, as well as the U.S. team, to support their work and align strategic planning between these offices, WRI’s global headquarters, and other functional organizations within WRI (e.g., the Energy and Climate Programs).
Your work will inform our global electromobility strategy, which you will also have an opportunity to shape. As part of the implementation of this strategy, you will support and sometimes lead development activities through drafting proposals and communicating directly with funding organizations. Specific projects currently in your portfolio include the development of VGI-related policies and regulations, performing original research and developing analytic tools to identify electrical grid-related requirements and opportunities associated with mass adoption of electric vehicles, and defining business models and technological requirements to enable a wide range of VGI activities (including the use of electric vehicles as dispatchable energy storage assets). Each month, you will support an ongoing research and analysis activity to broaden our global expertise in an array of electric mobility topics. Based on existing programmatic work and these research and analysis activities, you will grow and evolve WRI’s portfolio while actively communicating both internally and externally.
- In coordination with WRI international offices and the global headquarters, define a comprehensive, multi-year programmatic strategy to maximize WRI impact in advancing knowledge and implementation of VGI capabilities
- Identify areas where additional research and analysis are needed to better define strategic emphases for WRI and the broader electric mobility community, and define new programmatic activities to address these research and analysis needs
- Collaborate with WRI personnel to amplify WRI’s global impact
- Develop strategic partnerships with other organizations to amplify WRI’s impact
- Support the development of WRI’s global electric mobility strategy
Project and Grant Leadership
- Undertake planning and implementation of project research, communication and budgeting activities
- Supervise the work of junior staff, including those with fewer than 5 years of work experience.
- Independently manage projects or discrete components of projects
- Plan, design and conduct policy-relevant research, analysis, and writing on relevant aspects of electromobility, including technical aspects such as integration of electric vehicles with electricity generation and demand management
- Oversee the development of tools and analyses that enable policymakers and stakeholders to make informed decisions about VGI capabilities
- Conceive and produce high-quality, high-impact reports and issue briefs
- Proactively coordinate between the WRI Global Headquarters and WRI international offices, as related to program implementation
- Coordinate across WRI program and issue areas
- Participate in internal and external peer review processes for publications and papers
- Develop fundraising project proposals and concept notes
- Cultivate donors to sustain and grow the program
Publications and Thought Leadership
- Communicate WRI research and analysis with external audiences.
- Speak at senior level conferences, workshops and other events
- Design and implement WRI roundtables, workshops or other convening events with key stakeholders
- Liaise with and develop collaborations with external partners, including research institutes, non-profit organizations, businesses, and government agencies
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant, full-time work experience. Master’s degree (or bachelor’s degree with two additional years of relevant experience)
- Demonstrable previous experience in leading original projects, products or research activities
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishments in advancing clean energy and/or sustainable transportation objectives
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of the grid implications and infrastructure needs for electric mobility, including understanding of energy markets and services such as demand response and frequency regulation
- Experience in developing modeling/simulation tools related to energy and/or mobility systems
- Experience with leading philanthropic fundraising (or business development)
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge on using Excel and/or other data analysis tools
- Exceptional research skills and experience in evaluating research methodologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation experience
- Willingness to work effectively under pressure and take on new challenges as required
- Ability to think creatively and resolve complex, multi-disciplinary challenges
- Detail-oriented, organized and independent thinker
- Full fluency in English required and second language (Chinese, Spanish or Portuguese) preferred
How to Apply
Please include a cover letter and resume. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.