About this Project
Recycle your old lawn mowers!
Having a "green" lawn includes using the right tools and knowing what to do with them when they quit working. If you can repair your lawn mower, or donate a working one, choose one of those options before disposal. And when the time comes that your lawn mower finally dies for good, make sure to recycle it with a bulk trash pickup or a trip to the Transfer Station.
If you receive Montgomery County-provided recycling service, recycling your mower is as simple as setting it out at the curb for a scrap metal pickup. Here are the steps:
- Submit your scrap metal pickup request online or call 311 (or 240-777-0311; TTY: 301-251-4850).
- Empty your mower of all fuel and oil fluids.
- Remove batteries (if applicable).
- Set your mower out at the curb by 7 a.m. on your recycling collection day.
Have trimmers / weed whackers or other similar lawn and garden tools? Recycle them the same way as lawn mowers. Unfortunately, we cannot accept riding mowers in our curbside collection program.
To check whether you have County-provided recycling service, use our Collection Day Lookup.
Montgomery County makes it very easy for you to recycle! Both options for disposal are free for Montgomery County residents:
- Order a bulk trash/ scrap metal pickup to your home; or
- Drop the old lawn mower at the Transfer Station
It's as easy as that!!