The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is required by the State of Maryland to reduce litter in the Anacostia watershed portion of our County. Much of Silver Spring, including White Oak, is within this watershed. DEP monitors several areas in the Anacostia Watershed for trash. Using the monitoring data, DEP identified White Oak as opportunity to promote litter reduction. Our hope is to learn what is most effective in reducing litter in this community and bring these to other communities in the Anacostia Watershed and Montgomery County.
DEP did extensive research using the Community-based social marketing method to understand the community demographics, needs, and motivators. Research included:
- field research
- focus groups
- pilot testing of messages
DEP also conducted more in-depth pre-monitoring of the litter levels in this neighborhood.
- Post-monitoring performed during/after the campaign will use identical methodology.
- Data will compare litter levels before/after to assess effectiveness of campaign.
The White Oak anti-litter campaign goes further than messaging.
- Local businesses
- Apartment complexes
- Community groups
- Faith-based organizations
- Add extra trash pickup for receptacles in White Oak Park
- Offer and distribute resources to businesses/apartment complexes to help implement successful trash and recycling programs
- Hold community events to promote awareness
- Use paid social media ads to target residents with our message
- Promote social media challenges that will reward people for helping to reduce litter in White Oak
We hope everyone will help contribute to lifting up White Oak by picking up litter and putting trash in its place!
- Community Cleanup to promote campaign
- Holiday shopping event- reusable bag giveaway
- Art competition in 2020
Resources for apartments/businesses/schools/community groups:
Recycling and Resource Management online store:
Order free resources to set up a successful recycling program in your apartment/business!
Social media info:
Follow us on the following social media to keep up with the campaign and join our challenges (direct links):